By: Kaylin Meyer
We wash the makeup off our faces every day, that’s pretty standard. The real question is, how often do you clean those makeup brushes and sponges? I’m guessing probably not as often as we should.
While cleaning our pores on a daily basis is a necessity, cleansing our makeup brushes and sponge applicators happens to be the secret ingredient to maintaining a flawless complexion. And conveniently, any beauty applicator used on the base of your skin can be cleaned quickly and easily using a variety of different methods!
How Often Should You Clean Them?
For liquid foundation brushes and sponges, once a week will do the trick! Cleaning your cosmetics every seven days will help prevent the bacteria from building up, which in turn, will help you from breaking out.
How Do You Clean Them?
There are a dozen ways how you can clean your cosmetic utensils – including soaps, detergents, and shampoos! You can even use your own face wash scrub as long as you use lukewarm water. The most important factor is to make sure you use a cleansing method that is the most suitable for your skin type while simultaneously killing the bacteria build-up.
- Be very gentle on the bristles. Just like hair textures, different styles of brushes have different textures. Be weary of this when cleaning the bristles of each different type of brush.
- After you’ve wetted and rinsed the bristles, swirl the brush in the palm of your hand to completely remove all the leftover oils and pigments. You can even use a soft towel to remove any excess residue.
- For brushes that are extra cakey, dribble a little olive oil onto the brush before you wash.
- As mentioned before, blending sponges used for liquid foundations should be cleaned at least every week. However, to extend the life of your sponge, cleaning every few days is ideal.
- Use just a touch of your desired soap on the sponge and gently rub the product out of the sponge.
- Rinse with water until the sponge is completely foundation free!
Need even more beauty tips? Read The Glamorganic Goddess’ Beginners Guide to Clean Beauty. And while your updating your makeup bag with the latest products and trends, shop on DubLi.com and receive Cashback savings on your purchases!